How to read these listings

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 15 November, 2008, 12:00am
UPDATED : Saturday, 15 November, 2008, 12:00am


The directory is divided into two sections: the first features local tertiary institutions, including those funded by the University Grants Committee, as well as the private Open University of Hong Kong, Chu Hai College and Hong Kong Shue Yan University. The second part features other providers, including those run as local offices of overseas institutions, non-profit-making institutes, and private businesses. The overseas courses offered by other providers that are listed in this directory are registered with the Non Local Courses Registry, found at Some operators may also offer non-registered courses through distance learning.

Key to the tables

Postgraduate Certificate or Diploma (PgC, PgD) Awards for standalone taught programmes or for successfully completing a specified number of courses (but not the thesis/dissertation) on a master's programme.

Master of Arts (MA), Master of Science (MSc) Taught programmes usually taken full-time over one year, or two years part-time. What is categorised as arts and science varies between institutions, although MAs are associated more with the humanities and MScs with the sciences. The lines blur in the business arena.

Master of Business Administration (MBA) The MBA is the business equivalent of the MA or MSc. The Executive MBA is targeted at senior business people and involves a more interactive teaching approach.

Master of Philosophy (MPhil) Two-year full-time or four-year part-time research programmes, often with a taught element.

Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Extended research programme that normally takes at least three years to finish.

Other awards Australian universities in particular use more specialist names for their qualifications. In our directory, these are spelt out in full.