Match the following terms with their descriptions
4. Tony Blair
5. Gordon Brown
a) prime minister of Britain from 1997 to 2007, former leader of the Labour party
b) current Prime Minister of Britain, represents Labour party
c) members of an ethnic group from Nepal
d) very little
e) steady income given to a person (usually after retirement)
Answer the following questions
1. Before 1997, what did the British government deny Gurkhas who served in the British Army?
a) right of abode in Hong Kong
b) salary and pension
c) proper equipment
d) honorary badges
2. How long have Gurkhas fought for Britain?
a) two decades
b) 200 years
c) since 1997
d) 11 years
3. How long did other foreign nationals have to serve in the British Army before receiving Hong Kong residency?
a) two years
b) four years
c) seven years
d) one year
4. How did Tony Blair's decision in 2004 affect Gurkhas who served in the British Army before the handover?
a) they could claim British residency
b) they received higher pensions
c) Gurkhas were allowed to run for government posts
d) families were separated
Phrasal verbs require more than one word to make sense. They always consist of a verb and one or more additional words.
Here's an example from the passage: 'I have been really angry with the British government, and ashamed of the way they behaved.'
Fill in the blanks with phrasal verbs from the following list. Make sure you use the correct tense
a) break down
b) give up
c) make up
d) dry off
I was late for school today because the car engine 1._____________________ halfway. When I told my teacher what happened, she thought it was 2._________________________! I was so sad I 3._________________________ in front of my classmates. The teacher felt sorry for me and gave me a handkerchief to 4.__________________________ my tears.
1. Are the Gurkhas who fought for the British Army being treated unfairly?
2. Compare Tony Blair's approach to Gurkhas to that of Gordon Brown.
3. Why do you think the British government resisted giving Gurkhas local residency despite their military service?
Word Power: 1. c, 2. e, 3. d, 4. a, 5. b
Reading Comprehension: 1. a, 2. b, 3. b, 4. d
Language Focus: 1. gave up, 2. made up, 3. broke down, 4. dry off