Restrictions to remain

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 27 November, 2008, 12:00am
UPDATED : Thursday, 27 November, 2008, 12:00am

The government wants to put aside a proposed easing of admission requirements for non-local talent, due to concerns about the financial crisis' impact on local employment.

But it said it might consider more lenient admission policies for professionals earning more than HK$45,000 a month.

The Security Bureau was commenting on a proposal made in April by the Commission on Strategic Development's taskforce on attracting talent. It called for a pilot scheme that would allow employers to hire talent from abroad without having to prove that they could not find suitable candidates in Hong Kong.

In a paper submitted for the Legislative Council security panel's discussion, the bureau said it was not a good time to lift the restrictions. It might, however, consider waiving the requirement for high-income positions. A proposed cut-off was the upper quartile of monthly salary for managers, administrators and professionals - HK$45,000 last year.

Taskforce member Cheung Chi-kong, the executive director of the One Country Two Systems Research Institute, said admission policies should be loosened when the economy improved.

 

Promotions