Match the following words with their meanings
a. to enforce or compel (someone to do something)
b. a temporary ban
d. something that is avoided because of cultural, religious or social beliefs
e. to ruin something deliberately
Now use the words you have just learned to fill in the blanks of the following sentences. Pay attention to the tenses
In Asia, divorce is still a 6. ______________________ topic.
The United States 7. ____________________ an 8. ___________________ on North Korean products in order to pressure Pyongyang into dismantling its nuclear weapons programme.
Mum put a 9. ___________________________ on buying new video games until I improve my grades.
The army 10. _______________________ the terrorists' plans by blowing up the bridge.
Answer the following questions
1. Which of these countries hunt whales?
2. Where does Japan hunt whales each year?
3. Which meat produces the most greenhouse gases, according to the High North Alliance?
1. Should whaling be banned?
2. Compare the row over whale meat with that of shark's fin or another controversial Hong Kong dish.
3. How can we strike a balance between saving whales and preserving another country's culture?
1. d, 2. b, 3. c, 4. e, 5. a, 6. taboo, 7. imposed, 8. embargo, 9. moratorium, 10. sabotaged
Reading Comprehension: 1. d, 2. a, 3. d