Answer the following questions
1. What happened after the FAO called for a war on waste?
a. donors cut aid
b. countries stopped wasting
c. grain production almost doubled in some countries
d. the wastage became worse
2. How many calories do adults need to eat each day to stave off malnutrition?
3. How does Jospicio Fernandez gauge the quality of the rice?
a. by cutting open a few bags
b. cooking it up with curry
c. stabbing it with his sword
d. seeing if the rats eat it
4. Who was the corrupt former president of the Philippines?
a. Gloria Arroyo
b. David Beckmann
c. Ferdinand Marcos
d. Concepcion Calpe
Match the definitions with the words below
5. soothed or calmed
6. to have illegally drawn off money
7. food used to entice prey
8. investors who hope for a quick gain but also risk loss
9. holding up something that is weak or unstable
d. shoring up
Use the above words in the correct sentence
10. After crying for three hours the baby was _______________ to sleep.
11. _______________ rushed to Johannesburg when gold was discovered.
12. After he had _______________ off millions there was nothing left.
13. Cheese can be used as _______________ in a mouse trap.
14. Congress did not want to be seen _______________ the auto industry.
1. Compare the movement of grain in wealthy countries to that in underdeveloped countries.
2. Explore the underlying causes of the wastage in the Philippines.
3. Discuss what measures the government might take to lessen the impact of grain wastage.
Reading Comprehension: 1. c, 2. b, 3. a, 4. c Word Power: 5. b, 6. c, 7. a, 8. e, 9. d, 10. b, 11. e, 12 c, 13. a, 14. 6