A team of five, including lawyers and a magistrate, will head to Canada this week from Hong Kong for a hearing to collect evidence from actor-singer Edison Chen Koon-hei, a key player in last year's celebrity sex-photos scandal. A lawmaker yesterday questioned the need for the trip, and its cost.
The hearing, which begins on Monday, will take place under Hong Kong law at the Supreme Court of British Columbia.
Chen, who fled to Canada at the height of the scandal a year ago and has stopped performing, has refused to return to give evidence. His testimony will be used in the trial of computer technician Sze Ho-chun, who denies aiding the distribution on the internet of photographs of Chen performing sex acts with actresses and female singers.
Civic Party lawmaker Ronny Tong Ka-wah, a barrister and former Bar Association chairman, criticised the overseas hearing as 'expensive and luxurious' when there was an easy and more economical way to collect evidence from the star.
'I find taking a deposition in a foreign court quite a drain on our resources. I estimate this will cost a few hundred thousand [Hong Kong] dollars, if not a million,' he said.
His figures include lawyers' fees and the cost of flights and accommodation.
He said it would be cheaper to set up a video link in a Hong Kong court to hear Chen's evidence.