Answer the following questions
1 Which group of people have experienced waterboarding?
b. American pilots training for the Korean War
c. Hispanic immigrants
d. CIA members
2 During which US presidency was waterboarding approved for use on terrorists?
a. Condoleeza Rice
b. Dick Cheney
c. George H. Bush
d. George W. Bush
3 What is one consequence of the use of waterboarding, according to the article?
a. It has tarnished the image of the United States.
b. The United Nations Security Council has banned its use anywhere in the world.
c. The technique was adopted by Britain.
d. It has led to the prosecution of CIA officials.
Match the following words with their meanings below
a using force
b blaming others
c a torture technique which simulates drowning
d gross; gory
e questioning using force
f the unintended consequence of an action
g to question or doubt a decision
1. Should waterboarding be banned around the world?
2. Should the CIA officials involved in waterboarding terrorists be prosecuted?
3. Imagine you were a US lawmaker around 2002, and the CIA asked for your approval to use waterboarding on terrorist suspects. They tell you it was used in the military. What questions would you ask the CIA?
1. c, 2. a, 3. b, 4. e, 5. e, 6. d
1. d, 2. b, 3. c, 4. c, 5. d