Yau Tsim Mong crash site under review
The government is reviewing the bus and minibus stops at the junction of Sai Yeung Choi Street and Mong Kok Road after an accident two weeks ago in which two women were killed.
During a Legislative Council panel meeting yesterday, assistant transport commissioner Don Ho Yue-man said the department's initial findings were that the junction was not an accident black spot, with only three accidents involving injuries in the past three years. The design of the roads and signs were safe and sufficient, he said.
On June 12, a minibus mounted the footpath after colliding with a double-decker bus at the junction, killing two pedestrians and injuring a few others.
Mr Ho said the department was prepared to review bus and green-minibus stops along Mong Kok Road. 'The footpath there could be widened, thereby providing room for shifting the give-way [road sign] control forward, making it easier for left-turning traffic to enter the junction and on to Mong Kok Road,' he said.
Yau Tsim Mong District Council was consulted last week and councillors supported the idea, he said.
Measures to deter speeding and improper minibus driving would be stepped up, including a hotline to report speeding and enhanced publicity on safe driving to prevent further accidents, Mr Ho said.