Court hears how accused butchered girl

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 22 July, 2009, 12:00am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 22 July, 2009, 12:00am

Bones of a beheaded compensated-dating girl were dumped into a basket at a butcher shop in Shek Kip Mei Market after a client spent more than eight hours dismembering her, a court heard yesterday.

The gruesome story was told in a videotape of a police interview with Ting Kai-tai, 24, who has denied murdering Kiki Wong Ka-mui, 16, but has admitted preventing lawful burial of her corpse. It was the fifth of seven interviews with Ting in which police said he gave two different versions of what had happened after Wong came to his tiny Sham Shui Po flat on April 27 last year.

Ting, who has claimed he was so dazed by drugs that he could not remember how the girl died, said he woke at his dining table at about 4pm that day to find her dead in his bed with blood oozing from her mouth.

In an interview on May 7, Ting told police he had put the body in a foam box and wheeled it on a trolley to Kowloon City Pier where he dumped it into the sea. Yesterday, the court heard Ting gave another version on May 8 detailing how he decapitated Wong and cut her body into small pieces using a chopper and a cutting board inside his small washroom before flushing the pieces down the toilet.

'I [then] took a route 6C bus to Kowloon City Pier,' he said in the interview. 'I went alone. I was carrying only her head. Yes ... the remaining parts of her body were cut into pieces and flushed away already.'

He said that after he awoke he dragged Wong's body from his bed to the washroom. He first cut the throat once with a chopper, and left the body on the floor for 10 to 15 minutes to allow the blood to run out. 'It was very sharp and the cut was so deep,' he said.

He then rinsed away the blood and took out a cutting board, placed it under Wong's neck, and chopped her head off. 'I chopped five times and the head dropped off,' he said in a calm voice in the interview.

Ting said he put her head aside and cut off her clothes to cover her head, then put them into a plastic bag. He went on chopping her arms and legs and then slashed open the torso, from her throat to her navel.

He said it took him 10 minutes to empty the torso. He chopped the organs into pieces and flushed them down the toilet before he started to cut the flesh piece by piece.

He told police that the skin was too stiff to cut so he first needed to slice it with the chopper and peel it off with his bare hands, portion by portion. He also cut the skin into small pieces, which he flushed away.

Similar treatment was given to Wong's arms and legs. Ting said he cut her fingers and toes off one by one before cutting them up and flushing them down the toilet.

He had to 'chisel' the ribs off with the tip of the blade near the handle, but he could not break up the spine as it was too hard. He chopped the spine into two halves and then set out to dispose of the bones and the head.

It was past 11pm when he arrived at the pier and dumped the head into the sea. He returned home at about midnight by taxi and carried the remaining bones in a bucket to Shek Kip Mei Market, putting them into a basket next to a butcher shop. He believed the basket contained some pig bones at the time.

He said he returned home to clean the scene thoroughly and destroyed his tools, mattress and everything that belonged to Wong except HK$3,400 he took from her wallet.

He then spent most of the money at a disco.

He said he had not told the truth in the earlier interview because he thought he had been 'too aberrant'.

Defence barrister Finny Chan Fei-nai told the jury his client had pleaded not guilty to one count of murder but had already admitted one count of preventing lawful burial of a corpse.

The hearing before Mr Justice Alan Wright continues today.