Probation order for college youth caught with Ecstasy tablets

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 17 September, 2009, 12:00am
UPDATED : Thursday, 17 September, 2009, 12:00am

A 16-year-old student at La Salle College was placed on a 12-month probation order yesterday for possessing Ecstasy and a painkiller at the school in April.

Deputy Magistrate Hui Chun-sing adopted recommendations in the probation order report submitted to Kowloon City Court. The report said Cheung Kai-sum showed great remorse for his actions and had apologised to his family and school for the inconvenience caused.

His family and school continued to support him after the incident, the report said.

The probation order set seven conditions with which Cheung must comply, including a curfew from 8pm to 6am.

Cheung must also provide urine samples for testing when required by his probation officer and he must join a community support service scheme.

The defendant was also told to avoid dangerous drugs, and had to follow the probation officer's instructions in respect of his work, study and friends he could associate with.

A La Salle College statement said Cheung would continue to study at the school and staff would support and ensure he complied with the terms of his probation.

The school's guidance and discipline teams and its social worker would continue to provide counselling, support and encouragement for him.

Internal correctional measures would also be imposed on Cheung, the school statement said.

Cheung had earlier pleaded guilty on August 5 to one charge of possessing a dangerous drug and a part-one poison.

Prosecutor So Kin-ho earlier told the court that a teacher and the school's head prefect had found three tablets of the psychotropic drug Ecstasy and a plastic bag with 3.68 grams of a powder containing the painkiller mefenamic acid.

Cheung was seen acting suspiciously in a school corridor on April 3. He was taken to the teacher's office after he was suspected of possessing cigarettes. The drugs were found when he emptied his pockets.

The police were called and they arrested Cheung.