Public kept in dark
Mainland authorities kept a deadly secret for nearly a year. A company making poisoned milk products was only shut down two weeks ago. The officials knew about the problem at the Shanghai Panda Dairy as early as last February. They did not tell the public.
At least six children died last year from poisoned milk products. More than 300,000 became sick. The milk was poisoned with melamine. The melamine had been added to the milk to make it seem as if the product contained more protein. Melamine causes kidney problems. Twenty-two dairies were involved. The poisoned milk even affected food exports from the mainland.