In Brief

PUBLISHED : Sunday, 18 April, 2010, 12:00am
UPDATED : Sunday, 18 April, 2010, 12:00am

Health officials investigate birth in hospital washroom

The Department of Health is investigating the birth of a baby girl on Thursday in the washroom of the maternity ward at Tsuen Wan Adventist Hospital. The mother, aged 23 and from the mainland, had been admitted to the hospital the previous night so her labour could be induced. She raised the alarm while in the washroom at 6am. Midwives helped her deliver her baby, a girl, before the doctor in charge of her case could arrive. 'Both the mother and the baby girl are in stable condition,' a department spokesman said. The mother was discharged on Friday. The hospital informed the department of the circumstances of the birth that day, and an investigation was launched immediately.

Teen charged with killing newborn and dumping body

Police yesterday charged a 17-year-old girl with one count of infanticide. The teenager was arrested on Friday in connection with the death of a newborn baby in Tsuen Wan on the same day. The baby was found inside a black recycling bag in a rubbish bin at the junction of Sha Tsui Road and Ham Tin Street and was certified dead at a hospital. The girl will appear in Tsuen Wan Court tomorrow.

Smoke bomb incident sparks cash van robbery fears

A smoke bomb accidentally went off besides a cash van on a busy street at around 8pm last night. A guard holding a cash case was about to board the van when his smoke bomb for preventing robberies suddenly exploded. The van was parked on Argyle Street near Fa Yuen Street in Mong Kok. Pedestrians were shocked by the blast and ran away, sparking chaos. Police officers soon arrived at the scene. No one was injured in the incident.

Prisoner excretes pellets containing heroin

Prison officers caught an inmate trying to smuggle drugs into the Lai Chi Kok Reception Centre. They found seven heroin tablets wrapped in plastic in the stool of a 57-year-old inmate yesterday and on Wednesday. The man was sent to the prison on Tuesday after being charged with trafficking in dangerous drugs and remanded in custody. Officers acted on information that he may have swallowed drugs before his admission and placed him in an isolation cell for close observation. A spokesman for the Correctional Services Department said that it took every possible precaution against the smuggling of drugs into prisons. Officers will wait to see whether the prisoner has more drugs.

MTR services halted after man's suicide

A man died after he was hit by a train at Ngau Tau Kok MTR station. The 26-year-old apparently jumped into the path of a Yau Ma Tei-bound train, a witness told police. Firemen recovered the man's body. There were no clues as to why the man took his life. The incident, which happened at 5pm, brought services on the Kwun Tong Line to a halt. They resumed half an hour later. Police were trying to trace the man's family.