Four in hospital after inhaling toxic gas
An investigation has begun into an accident in which four workers were taken to hospital - one in critical condition - after inhaling toxic gas in a sewage treatment plant at Stonecutters Island yesterday. They had been preparing to repair a centrifuge when they were overcome by gas at about 2.30pm. Three workers were found unconscious. One, a Drainage Services Department contractor, was in critical condition while the other two were serious. The fourth was stable. It was the second such incident at the plant in seven months.