-
Advertisement

Developer halts work on Sai Wan beach site

Reading Time:3 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
Joyce Ng

Amid strong public pressure, the developer behind the construction of a private retreat at scenic Sai Wan beach says he has decided to suspend the work temporarily until a solution acceptable to all parties is found.

Simon Lo Lin-shing, under fire for despoiling a pristine site, said in a statement last night that 'in the interest of maintaining harmony' work would stop from yesterday.

But a conservationist representing nine green groups questioned the sincerity of Lo's decision, as construction of two ponds on the site was already almost complete and said he should go further and restore government land damaged during the work.

Advertisement

It was the first public statement by Lo, chairman of Mongolia Energy Corporation, since a South China Morning Post report last week about the project on Sai Kung's Tai Long Wan coast sparked a public outcry.

'In the past few days, construction work on a plot of land in Sai Wan has caused the expression of differing opinions in the community, and considerable speculation reported in the media, which have created unnecessary disagreements,' said Lo, who has been refusing press interviews.

Advertisement

'In the interest of maintaining the prevailing harmony within society, I hereby announce that the construction on the site is to be suspended from Wednesday.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x