Security chief escapes injury in car accident on way to airport

PUBLISHED : Friday, 17 September, 2010, 12:00am
UPDATED : Friday, 17 September, 2010, 12:00am

Secretary for Security Ambrose Lee Siu-kwong escaped injury in a collision between his official car and a truck in Sha Tin yesterday.

Lee, who began a holiday yesterday, had to flag down a taxi to continue his journey to the airport to catch a flight, according to a government spokesman.

His press secretary, Simon Tam Wing-keung, did not reveal where Lee had flown to because he is on a private trip. He refused to say whether there were other people in the car at the time.

'It's a minor accident. No one was injured and the car suffered minor damage,' he said.

Tam said Lee would be back at work on Monday.

Yesterday's crash happened at about 10.30am after the official car, with the registration plate 'AM5' and driven by a 44-year-old chauffeur, picked up the security chief at his residence in Sha Tin.

Without identifying Lee, a police spokeswoman said the car was travelling along Tsing Sha Highway near Sha Tin Heights Tunnel when it was in collision with a truck.

She said the truck was switching lanes at the moment the crash happened. No casualties were reported in the incident.

Police said both drivers were breath-tested and the results were negative. Officers from the New Territories South traffic are investigating the case.

The security chief began his holidays one day before the Philippine committee investigating the August 23 bloodbath in which eight Hongkongers died delivers its findings. The report is to be submitted to President Benigno Aquino.

While Lee is on holiday, his official duties are being assumed by Undersecretary for Security Lai Tung-kwok, who headed the Hong Kong government rapid deployment team sent to Manila during the crisis last month and which helped get the casualties and the bodies of the dead back to Hong Kong.

Police figures show 68 people were killed in 66 fatal road accidents in the first eight months of this year. There were 139 people killed in 126 in the whole of last year.