In Brief

PUBLISHED : Sunday, 07 November, 2010, 12:00am
UPDATED : Sunday, 07 November, 2010, 12:00am

Police ambush at Sai Kung nets hard disks worth HK$1.5m

Marine police confiscated 90 cartons of hard disks worth an estimated HK$1.5 million in an anti-smuggling operation in Sai Kung yesterday. Officers discovered two speedboats ashore near Sha Ha village. A car arrived and six men were seen loading goods from the car to the speedboats. Officers then took action but the men jumped onto the boats and fled. One also escaped in the car, which was found in a car park nearby with the goods. No one was arrested.

Elderly patients hit by superbug

Two women, aged 85 and 88, being treated in Our Lady of Maryknoll Hospital were confirmed to be infected by a superbug in their urinary tracts. They were infected with vancomycin resistant enterococci and are being treated in isolation, along with an 82-year-old woman confirmed to be infected on October 29. Two of them are in a serious condition. The hospital stepped up infection control measure and arranged screening for 30 other patients.

Vietnamese II detained

A 43-year-old Vietnamese illegal immigrant was being held in detention overnight after police confiscated 600,000 illicit cigarettes in 50 cartons with an estimated value of HK$1.2 million in his Cheung Sha Wan home on Fuk Wah Street on Friday night.

43 held over illegal gambling

Police arrested 17 men and 26 women, aged 34 to 72, over illegal gambling after raiding three restaurants in Tseung Kwan O. Two men and a woman were arrested for running illegal gambling venues and the rest for illegal gambling. About HK$3,000 was confiscated. Police suspect the venues were run by triad members.

Grandmother hit by car

A 64-year-old grandmother was in a critical condition last night after she was knocked down by a car as she was crossing Ning Yuen Street in Wong Tai Sin with her three-month old grandson. The baby was unharmed. The woman sustained head and leg injuries. Both were sent to Queen Elizabeth Hospital. The 36-year-old driver passed a breathalyser test.