Brave Kid ready to go again after minor setback, says Size
He has been one of the missing big names this season, but the John Size-trained Brave Kid restarts his promising career at this morning's Sha Tin trials with high hopes of completing the remainder of this term.
The five-year-old was one of the stars of last season, winning his first six runs at distances from 1,000m to 1,800m, and then finishing third to Super Satin in the Derby.
Now Size (pictured) has earmarked the Group One Kent & Curwen Centenary Sprint Cup down the straight on Sunday week as his potential launching point for a second campaign.
'There hasn't been anything seriously wrong with him. He was here and training well and ready to go a couple of months ago, but he developed a splint and that was a bit tender and sore and I had no option but to stop with him,' Size said yesterday. 'The splint now appears to have settled down and I'm hoping he'll be able to race through to the end of the season.'
With a rating of 112, Brave Kid's opportunities to run will be fairly narrow and Size has him entered for the Group One sprint, but said that race was not set in stone.
'We'll start him off at the trials and see how he handles that and he might run in the Centenary Sprint, or there's a 1,400m race at the end of the month that he would qualify for - we'll just see what suits him at the time,' he said.
The Jockey Club has received only seven other entries for the Centenary Sprint, with last year's winner Sacred Kingdom heading a list that also includes Sweet Sanette, One World, Green Birdie, Dim Sum, Ultra Fantasy and Vital Flyer.
In other news, popular Austrian jockey Andreas Suborics, who retired last year due to issues following brain surgery while in Hong Kong, made a comeback to riding in Germany last Friday and rode a treble at Dortmund on Sunday.