Sergeant, 41, dies after collapsing on patrol in Ma On Shan Country Park

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 12 January, 2011, 12:00am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 12 January, 2011, 12:00am

A policeman died in hospital after collapsing during a rural patrol in a country park, the second officer to die in a week.

Sergeant Fung Kwok-ho, 41, leader of Sha Tin police station's rural patrol unit, was with seven other members of the unit near Gilwell Campsite in Ma On Shan Country Park when he collapsed at about 2.45pm.

'He took a rest and suddenly fainted after patrolling in the country park for about half an hour,' the chairman of the Junior Police Officers' Association, Gary Wong Ching, said.

Fung was given cardiac massage at the scene before being winched to a Government Flying Service helicopter and taken to Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital in Chai Wan. Doctors declared him dead at about 4pm.

Fung's death came just five hours after he and his team were commended by their commander at Ma On Sha police station for the arrest of a mainland visitor in connection with a theft in a village in Sha Tin on Sunday.

They left the police station after lunch yesterday and went into the country park for a routine patrol.

One of his colleagues said Fung was always in good health and did not complain of feeling ill.

Fung joined the police force in 1991 and was transferred to head the rural patrol unit last year. He received the Hong Kong Police Force Long Service Medal in 2009.

He was divorced with two children, an 11-year-old son and a six-year-old daughter.

The death provided a sad task on his first day in the job for new police commissioner, Andy Tsang Wai-hung, who went to the hospital and expressed his condolences to Fung's family.

Secretary for Security Ambrose Lee Siu-kwong said: 'I am saddened to learn of the news. The government will give every possible assistance to the family members of the deceased.'

The Junior Police Officers' Association said it would also offer help to the family.

Detective Senior Inspector Yip Hoi-wai, 39, died from a stroke on Tuesday last week while he was on leave. He was being transferred to CID against warnings that his health was not up to the job.