Youths jailed for fatal attack on 15-year-old

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 22 March, 2011, 12:00am
UPDATED : Tuesday, 22 March, 2011, 12:00am

Three youths were jailed for up to eight years each yesterday for a fatal triad-related attack on a 15-year-old.

Mok Tsz-yeung, 20, Ng Wai-lun, 17, and a 15-year-old, who cannot be named, had been charged with murder but pleaded guilty to manslaughter, which the prosecution accepted.

In the Court of First Instance, Madam Justice Maggie Poon Man-kay yesterday sentenced Mok and Ng to eight years' imprisonment for killing Ng Fong-kai. She jailed the 15-year-old defendant for seven years and two months because he made an early indication of his plea, which may have had a bearing on the pleas of the others. The court heard that the defendants were linked to the Wo Shing Wo triad society.

Lawyers for Ng and the 15-year-old said their clients were not responsible for the fatal blow, which they said was caused by Mok and could not have been foreseen. But the judge said: 'The crux of the matter is that each of them had chosen to take part in an organised criminal gang and set out to beat the deceased.'

Any person who attached himself to such an attack bore responsibility for the actions of others in the group, she said, and blame should not be apportioned among the defendants.

The court previously heard that the incident in January last year arose from a dispute between two groups of male youths aged between 14 and 19. A person named Kam Mo-tat had asked Ng Wai-lun to help him take revenge after claiming to have been beaten by a group of youths, including the deceased, at a cybercafe. Ng Wai-lun and Mok then gathered 15 to 20 young men for the attack.

They went to Lower Wong Tai Sin Estate, where the victim was in a playground with four friends. Outnumbered, the victim's group was punched, kicked and attacked with bottles. The attack lasted several minutes, with Mok jumping on Ng Fong-kai as he lay on the ground. The boy died several days later.

The court heard that the cause of death was found to have been a ruptured liver, and the fatal blow was delivered by running, jumping and landing on the victim as he was lying face up.