Go bilingual

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 26 May, 1994, 12:00am
UPDATED : Thursday, 26 May, 1994, 12:00am

ALMOST every government department in Hong Kong is bilingual. Therefore, it is surprising that the Hong Kong Housing Authority uses only Chinese. All the circulars which are posted for the information of tenants are always in Chinese. I am a non-Chinese tenant.

Recently when I went to my estate office to pick up an application form for the purchase of a Home Ownership Scheme flat, I was surprised to see that all the catalogues accompanying the application form and the form itself were printed only in Chinese, which of course, being non-Chinese I could not read. Surely all tenants have a right to access to all available information, whether or not they can read Chinese. All relevant Hong Kong Housing Authority and Hong Kong Housing Society documents, which relate directly to tenants, should be in both Chinese and English.