Three suffer food poisoning

PUBLISHED : Monday, 24 October, 1994, 12:00am
UPDATED : Monday, 24 October, 1994, 12:00am

THREE people were admitted to hospital yesterday after eating contaminated vegetables, adding to the record number of cases this year.


Last year, 39 cases of pesticide poisoning, involving 100 people, were admitted to hospital. There have been 160 victims in 66 cases so far this year.


'We have no idea why the increase has been so dramatic this year,' a government spokesman said.


'We assume these vegetables have come over the border from China and we are trying to crack down on these things.' Two sisters, aged 28 and 29, from Yau Ma Tei were among this weekend's victims.


Hospital officials could not identify the exact source of the poisoning, saying only that it was from vegetables.


One sister was discharged after treatment, while the other remained overnight for observation.


The third person struck down by the poisoned vegetables, a 38-year-old man, also from Yau Ma Tei, is in hospital in a fair condition.


The symptoms of pesticide poisoning include nausea, headaches and diarrhoea.