• Mon
  • Dec 22, 2014
  • Updated: 11:59am

Wah Yan quits scheme

PUBLISHED : Monday, 04 April, 2011, 12:00am
UPDATED : Monday, 04 April, 2011, 12:00am
 

Elite school Wah Yan College has pulled out of the government's class reduction scheme after opposition from wealthy alumni.

The school joined the scheme in February, pledging to cut its Form One intake to 144 pupils from 180 in September. But it announced its withdrawal last week.

The class reduction scheme encourages schools to cut the number of Form One classes from five to four so that some students can go to schools with too few.

Monty Fong Wing-hong, chief executive of the Wah Yan One Family and a member of the alumni association, was aware of the opposition from alumni at a forum in February.

'The foundation has reserves of HK$8.5 million,' he said.

'There are alumni who said that if the school doesn't join the scheme, they will donate more money to the school. The reason for joining the scheme is insufficient resources.'

Fong said the alumni were willing to provide the resources to carry out all kinds of projects, such as introducing small-class teaching.

Education officials said 200 schools had joined the voluntary class reduction scheme and would cut their classes in September.

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or