Top ICAC investigator released on bail

PUBLISHED : Sunday, 01 May, 2011, 12:00am
UPDATED : Sunday, 01 May, 2011, 12:00am


Top ICAC investigator Raymond Yuen - arrested last week by his own colleagues on suspicion of corruption-related wrongdoing - has been released on bail as an investigation into his conduct gathers pace.

Officers from the Independent Commission Against Corruption's internal affairs unit, L group, were focusing on Yuen's 'personal actions' and no other members of the organisation were being looked at in connection with the inquiry, a person close to the investigation said yesterday.

Yuen (pictured), who is in his 40s, was the youngest officer to be promoted to the rank of principal investigator in the history of the ICAC and is considered a rising star in the organisation. He was arrested on Wednesday and suspended from duty.

'The investigation is purely focused on the officer concerned,' the source said. 'No other ICAC staff are involved. They are looking at allegations about the officer's personal actions and his suspected abuse of the ICAC's code of conduct.'

A spokesman for the commission confirmed yesterday that Yuen had been released on bail.

The ICAC did not name Yuen when it announced the arrest of a principal investigator on Friday, but separate sources confirmed to the Sunday Morning Post that he was the officer involved.

He was arrested 'on suspicion of breaching the law', according to a statement from the commission, which did not give any further details.

However, people familiar with the investigation said the breach referred to in the statement involved allegations of corruption.

Under the law, if an allegation of corruption is made against any one of its staff the commission is duty bound to investigate.

Ex-colleagues expressed shock at Yuen's arrest, saying it would deliver a body blow to the organisation at a time when it was in enough trouble.

In November, police arrested three commission officers on suspicion of perverting the course of justice during an unprecedented raid on the ICAC headquarters in North Point.

The three investigators are accused of coaching witnesses.

One former colleague said yesterday: 'This situation poses so many questions and it can't be good for the ICAC.'