City Digest

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 28 May, 2011, 12:00am
UPDATED : Saturday, 28 May, 2011, 12:00am
 

Sixth Jockey Club voting member on fraud charge

The graft-busters have charged another voting member of the Jockey Club for his alleged role in a fraudulent application for a Jockey Club racing membership, following the charging of five others earlier this month. Dipo Chandiram Sani, 66, will face one count of conspiracy to defraud when he appears in Eastern Court on Tuesday. It is alleged that he conspired last year with Robert Ng Ka-ki, John Douglas Mackie, Tong Kam-pui and Ho Wai-shek to defraud the club by falsely stating that information on a racing membership application was true. Another man, Lam Wai-chee, was also charged by the Independent Commission Against Corruption with a count of aiding and abetting in a separate but linked case.

December hearing set for developer's injunction bid

The Court of First Instance has set down three days from December 19 to hear a developer's application for an order restraining protesters from blocking its construction site in Mei Foo. The court last month refused to grant an interim injunction to Billion Star Development against Mei Foo Sun Chuen residents and said the matter would be dealt with at a later date. The developer, which is claiming damages from residents for delays to construction, has appealed against the court's refusal to grant an interim injunction, and that appeal will be heard on Monday.

Truant, 13, falls to death after mum comes home

A 13-year-old boy who had been playing truant for three days fell to his death from his 23rd-floor Tseung Kwan O home yesterday after his mother came home from work following a call from the school. Police are investigating whether the Form Two pupil slipped after climbing out a window or intended to commit suicide. The school head called the boy's mother to check on him after he reported sick for three days. The mother went home and found the boy locked in a bedroom. He fell before she got the door open.

Ban on Japanese food imports to remain

The government would wait for more data from the WHO and world nuclear watchdog before deciding whether to lift its ban on food from five Japanese prefectures, the Centre for Food Safety said.

Share

 

Send to a friend

To forward this article using your default email client (e.g. Outlook), click here.

City Digest

Enter multiple addresses separated by commas(,)

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive