• Fri
  • Aug 1, 2014
  • Updated: 2:21pm

Dongguan takes blow from Shenzhen security sweep

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 31 May, 2011, 12:00am
UPDATED : Tuesday, 31 May, 2011, 12:00am

Dongguan's police chief says security precautions in neighbouring Shenzhen in the lead-up to August's Summer Universiade have greatly added to public security concerns in his city.

Cui Jian, director of Dongguan's public security bureau, said on Friday that Shenzhen's decision to kick out 80,000 people in 'high-risk groups' put 'great stress' on its neighbour, the Guangzhou Daily reported.

Shenzhen authorities announced late last month that more than 80,000 people in high-risk groups deemed a threat to security had been evicted from Shenzhen in a 100-day security drive to ensure social stability during the world university games.

'The pressure on Dongguan is even worse than during the Asian Games in Guangzhou last year,' Cui said. 'Dongguan can't play a passive role on public security when Shenzhen has done so much.'

Cui said Dongguan would deploy 20 per cent of its police force in patrols around the clock for the rest of the year so that officers could arrive at a crime scene within two minutes of an emergency call. Dongguan would also recruit more than 5,000 graduates from police schools in other provinces to bolster its ranks.

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or