• Tue
  • Jul 29, 2014
  • Updated: 4:51am

Two survivors vow to sue Philippine authorities

PUBLISHED : Monday, 20 June, 2011, 12:00am
UPDATED : Monday, 20 June, 2011, 12:00am

Two survivors of the deadly hostage crisis in Manila last summer have dismissed new fines imposed on four TV and radio stations and a reporter as 'one more example of bad management on the Philippine side'.

Speaking through their lawyer Daniel Wong Kwok-tung, Joe Chan Kwok-chu and Yik Siu-ling, who were severely injured by gunshot wounds, vowed to pursue claims against the Philippine authorities.

Wong said he and a team of lawyers were studying the legal technicalities before going ahead with any lawsuit.

'It is a cross-border case and is a bit more complicated, but my clients still aim to pursue the case,' he said.

'We feel we have a strong case. All reports so far have pointed to the bad management of the Philippine police.'

Eight Hong Kong tourists and their guide were killed by an ex-policeman in the tragedy in August.

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or