• Tue
  • Jul 29, 2014
  • Updated: 2:07am

No room in class for 100 children

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 13 July, 2011, 12:00am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 13 July, 2011, 12:00am

Hundreds of kindergarten and nursery children at a Wan Chai private school will have to move kilometres away to Siu Sai Wan in the next academic year, after reports declared their school building unsafe.

But the future of about 100 children in Lingnan Primary School, Kindergarten and Nursery's primary section remains uncertain.

The sponsoring body of the school confirmed yesterday that the whole school must move by the end of January next year.

It said a new home for about 600 children in its kindergarten and nursery sections had been found at Siu Sai Wan, in the east of Hong Kong Island. But it said it had yet to find alternative premises for the children in the primary section.

The information was given at a meeting yesterday between parents and the school's management, according to a person who attended.

The sponsoring body, citing a survey report, had warned earlier that the condition of the existing building could jeopardise the safety of children and teachers.

There were also safety issues arising from a construction site next door.

Parents complained that the relocation plan, which surfaced about a month after an adjacent piece of land was sold to a property developer, had been unduly hasty.

They also said that safety concerns raised by the sponsoring body had existed far longer than reported.

But other than a press statement issued yesterday, the sponsoring body refused to answer questions from the media.

Kindergarten parent-teacher association chairwoman Julienne Jen said yesterday parents would meet soon to discuss whether to accept the school's relocation plan.

A parent, who would only give her name as Miss Lai, said some parents wanted to take their children away from the school.

'Some parents are looking for other schools for their children, but some would really love to stay because of the teachers there,' Lai said.

The sponsoring body said its chairman, David Chan, who is also the chairman of listed property developer and investment holding company Tai Cheung Holdings, had the power to withdraw support from the school if the relocation plan could not be completed.

Meanwhile, the Buildings Department, which confirmed there were unauthorised works in the existing building but said they did not pose an immediate danger, has yet to say what will be done about the illegal structures.

700

The total number of children who attend the 89-year-old school, of these 600 have a new home, while 100 have nowhere to go

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or