Hopes rise for girl pulled from wreckage

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 26 July, 2011, 12:00am
UPDATED : Tuesday, 26 July, 2011, 12:00am


The young girl plucked from the wreckage of Saturday's high-speed rail crash 21 hours after the accident regained consciousness yesterday morning and was in a relatively stable condition, medical authorities said.

Xiang Weiyi, who is two and a half years old, according to the hospital, was trapped in the train until Sunday afternoon and only discovered long after the authorities ended the search and rescue.

'Her condition was very serious,' a spokesman for Wenzhou Medical School Affiliated Children's Hospital said. 'She had been crushed under the train and had suffered severe internal injuries. Most of her vital organs were badly damaged and her left leg was severely crushed.'

The spokesman said the girl had been transferred from another hospital to the specialist paediatrics hospital on Sunday night because of the complex nature of her injuries.

'We immediately performed an emergency operation to stabilise her condition,' he said. 'She is still in the intensive care unit but we were all delighted and surprised when she regained consciousness in the morning. We are very confident that the operation was successful, and see reason to be optimistic.

'We will need to keep monitoring her very closely for some time yet,' he warned. 'Her vital signs are relatively stable for the time being, but complications could easily arise over the next few days. The first 72 hours are crucial.'

Earlier on, hospital doctors told Xinhua that they may have to amputate her left leg.

The spokesman declined to allow overseas press access to the intensive care unit to visit the girl. A small group of mainland media had visited her during the morning.

'She needs her rest and that has been more than enough disturbance until she makes a further recovery,' said the spokesman.

Weiyi was with her parents when their train was hit from behind by a second train outside Wenzhou. China Central Television reported that her parents died in the crash.