• Sat
  • Apr 19, 2014
  • Updated: 7:58pm

Arts hub chief is in for the long haul

PUBLISHED : Friday, 05 August, 2011, 12:00am
UPDATED : Friday, 05 August, 2011, 12:00am

Newly appointed arts hub chief Michael Lynch says he is determined to stay in his post much longer than his predecessor.

The Australian arts veteran was keen to show off his energy yesterday, inviting the press to meet him at the West Kowloon site, 10 days into his job. It was the first press event held on site since the authority was set up for the cultural district.

'I thought it was really important today to be able to talk to you on the site rather than in some boardroom,' Lynch said.

He said in the past 10 days he had met representatives from arts and cultural fields, board members of the West Kowloon Cultural Authority and government officials.

When asked whether he would stay longer than his predecessor Graham Sheffield, who quit earlier this year on the grounds of ill health after five months in the job - only to land the post of arts director at the British Council within two months - Lynch said he was confident he would 'stay much longer'.

He said his daughter was coming next month and his wife would be moving here at the end of October.

'I absolutely give you my undertaking ... I look forward to being here when those buildings come out of the ground and we are able to celebrate the opening of the first building on the site,' he said.

Lynch said he met architect Norman Foster two weeks ago and the hub's final design would be released for the last round of public consultation and be submitted to the Town Planning Board for approval by the end of this year.

He also vowed to organise a series of temporary arts events for the site before the first phase was completed in 2015. The first would be the Hong Kong International Jazz Festival in October followed by a Cantonese opera gala during Lunar New Year.

Share

Login

SCMP.com Account

or