Anson Chan

Frustrated family still waiting to have their complaint heard

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 06 August, 2011, 12:00am
UPDATED : Saturday, 06 August, 2011, 12:00am


Related topics

The family of philanthropist Anita Chan Lai-ling say they are frustrated by repeated delays to a Medical Council disciplinary hearing on radiologist Dr Yau Yat-yin, who has now been arrested in connection with Chan's death.

Her eldest son, Anson Chan Yiu-cheung, said yesterday that the family had filed a complaint with the Medical Council against Yau in May last year.

But a month later, the council told the family that it had to withhold consideration of the case pending the result of the coroner's hearing.

After the inquest was completed on December 2 last year, the family asked the council to resume its consideration of the complaint. The son said the family had been helpful in providing all the information about the inquest for the council.

He said the council had replied in June that it would hold a preliminary investigation committee hearing on Yau, scheduled for Monday.

But the family received a letter from the council last month saying the committee had decided to withhold consideration of the complaint for the time being.

He would not disclose the reason given by the council for the further delay as he was advised by his lawyer to keep it confidential for legal reasons. 'It is a significant delay and it is disappointing,' Chan said.

The Medical Council said all complaints against doctors were confidential and it would not disclose any information about specific doctors.

Chan described his mother as an 'energetic, brave and caring woman' who started to take over the family business after her husband died from a heart attack in 1973.

'She liked to help people,' he said. Chan said his mother first met Yau when she was battling breast cancer in the late 1990s.

Her late husband, Chan Shu-kui, was born on the mainland and settled in Hong Kong in about 1949. As well as running and managing schools, he operated cinemas and distributed films from Hollywood and Taiwan between 1950 and 1970.

The couple first met when Anita Chan was teaching in one of the schools managed by Chan Shu-kui. They married in 1962 and had two sons and two daughters.

She was made a Justice of the Peace in 1983, awarded an MBE in 1990, and received an honorary Doctor of Social Science degree from Polytechnic University in 1997. In 2008, the university dedicated a building to Anita Chan in recognition of her long-standing support for education, community services and the university's development.

Anson Chan said he was shocked and saddened when he was told by phone that his mother had died after she lost consciousness and was rushed to hospital.