City Digest

PUBLISHED : Monday, 08 August, 2011, 12:00am
UPDATED : Monday, 08 August, 2011, 12:00am

Emily Lau unhappy with vote to stand candidate

Taking part in the chief executive election lent legitimacy to the process, Democratic Party vice-chairwoman Emily Lau Wai-hing said yesterday. She did not agree with her party's decision to field a candidate, saying it made it more difficult to condemn the process as defective and unacceptable. 'However ... I will abide by the decision,' she told RTHK's Letter to Hong Kong. In a survey held on July 31, more than 70 per cent of Democrats voted in favour of fielding a candidate. The party also proposed holding a primary election among pan-democrats in January.

Group spurns estimate of maids seeking residency

The government exaggerated the number of domestic helpers likely to seek Hong Kong residency if the law were changed by the judicial review in August, an alliance of eight groups representing foreign workers said. The government's estimate of 125,000 should be halved, the Asian Migrants Co-ordinating Body said. It urged the government to respect the decision of the judicial review. More than 30 members of the Democratic Alliance for the Betterment and Progress of Hong Kong staged a march calling on the government to remain vigilant on the case's potential for social upheaval.

Veteran coach remains in hospital after collapse

Veteran Hong Kong football team member and coach Chan Hung-ping remained in Caritas Medical Centre after collapsing in Yuen Long on Saturday during a demonstration match with other veterans. Chan, 69, has served two terms as Hong Kong coach. He played for top local teams, including South China and Happy Valley, until the early 1980s, and then coached other teams, including Sing Tao. He is currently coach of the first division team Fourway Rangers.

Parents arrested after baby admitted to hospital

Police arrested the parents of a six-month-old boy for neglect. The 44-year-old father called police to their Mong Kok home at about noon because the baby was falling in and out of consciousness. The boy was admitted to Kwong Wah Hospital in critical condition. Police arrested the father and 29-year-old mother later.

Typhoon causes 15 HK flights to be cancelled

Thirteen flights between Hong Kong and Shanghai and two between Hong Kong and Ningbo were cancelled because of Typhoon Muifa, which is expected to hit the mainland early today.