11 animals killed in blaze at pet shop

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 18 August, 2011, 12:00am
UPDATED : Thursday, 18 August, 2011, 12:00am


A Happy Valley pet shop where 11 dogs and cats died in a blaze yesterday plans a memorial service for the animals.

Four fire engines and an ambulance were sent when Noble Lifestyle for Pets in Yuen Yuen Street was found ablaze at about 5.10am.

Firefighters broke through the front door and took about 20 minutes to douse the flames. The mezzanine floor was damaged in the fire.

A police spokesman said a short circuit was the suspected cause of the blaze and an investigation found nothing suspicious.

The shop left a message on its Facebook page saying that a memorial service would be held for the animals. 'We are saddened as the dogs and cats left us in this accidental fire,' it said.

The shop had offered grooming services, sold 'high-quality' puppies for sale and provided 'hotel' services and free home delivery.

Four owners and staff members returned to the shop with black refuse bags, but they refused to speak. A notice saying, 'Renovation in progress', was later put on the front door.

An employee of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals made three visits to the shop yesterday but failed to find its owner. He said the society had yet to hear from the owner as to whether help was needed. A society spokeswoman said they would visit the shop again.

A customer who took his Pekinese dog to the shop to be groomed last year, said: 'I heard there was a change in ownership recently and most of their staff are new.'

Eliza Ng, owner of Voda Boutique next to the shop, said renovation work had been going on for two weeks. 'It's a pity the fire destroyed everything,' she said. 'Rich people and celebrities hang out in the district. It's not surprising that expensive species were found at the shop.'