Distraught father stabs policeman

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 31 August, 2011, 12:00am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 31 August, 2011, 12:00am


A policeman was in serious condition last night after he was stabbed by the distraught father of a man whose body he was guarding.

Constable Ko Chun-sing, 25, was wounded in the chin after being sent to a seventh-floor flat in Tuen Mun where Wong Chi-wai, 25, who was mentally impaired, was found unconscious in bed at about 10am.

Wong was later declared dead by paramedics and Ko was guarding the scene when the 58-year-old father, who did not believe his son was dead, tried to touch the body, police said.

'As our officer tried to stop him, [the father] became emotional and rushed into the kitchen,' a police officer said. 'He returned with a 30cm-long knife and attacked our officer. It happened suddenly. The officer had no chance to dodge the blow and was injured in the right lower jaw.'

Acting Chief Superintendent Terry Wong Kin-wah of Tuen Mun police station said though no major blood vessels were severed, Ko, who was taken to Tuen Mun Hospital, had 'lost quite a lot of blood' through a 2cm wound.

Ko was alone at the time of the attack, as a colleague waited downstairs for a mortuary van to arrive. The injured constable ran out of the flat and called for police reinforcements through his beat radio.

'But the attacker ran after him and assaulted our officer before running downstairs,' an officer said. The man's wife tried to help Ko staunch the bleeding in the corridor outside the flat in Wu Tsui House on the Wu King Estate.

Officers arrested the suspect outside Wu Boon House on the same estate. Crime-squad officers are investigating whether he was under the influence of alcohol.

Gary Wong Ching, chairman of the Junior Police Officers' Association, said it had been compulsory for officers to pair up when they were on duty upstairs in any building since the killing of Constable Leung Shing-yan, who answered a bogus noise complaint alone in 2001. However, it was accepted procedure for an officer to wait outside for a mortuary van while another looked after a body.