Five teens arrested over bus torching

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 15 September, 2011, 12:00am
UPDATED : Thursday, 15 September, 2011, 12:00am


Police yesterday arrested five teenagers suspected of being involved in the torching of four double-decker buses on Tuesday.

Four boys and a girl, aged 13 and 14, were arrested in Wong Tai Sin and Tseung Kwan O. A boy, who was arrested at a flat in Hong Yun House, Tsz Hong Estate, was seen escorted with his head covered to the police district headquarters in Wong Tai Sin last night.

Police did not say whether those arrested include a blogger nicknamed 'Hinhin Lau', who bragged that he was responsible for the arson.

'This is my outstanding work,' the blogger told his friends on Facebook. 'I started the fire with alcohol.'

Police noticed the blogger's message after it was uploaded onto HKGolden, an online forum, sparking a heated discussion among forum contributors.

An officer said crime-squad investigators were on the case, and would seek help from the blogger's internet service provider to track him down.

Five teenage boys were spotted fleeing from the bus terminus in Tsz Wan Shan after the buses burst into flames before dawn on Tuesday. 'Initial investigation showed that the five boys broke into one of the buses and went on board to play before the blaze started,' another police officer said. 'They were seen leaving in a hurry from the scene when the blaze spread through the four buses.'

Detectives from Wong Tin Sin district crime squad are still investigating how the blaze began.

The burning buses produced dense smoke, forcing the evacuation of about 100 residents from two buildings nearby. A security guard felt unwell after inhaling smoke.

One of the buses was burned down to its frame in the fierce blaze that took firemen more than an hour to douse. Government chemists have taken charred samples from the vehicles for examination.

Police said they were still waiting for the test results to establish whether a flammable solvent was used in the arson.

All four damaged buses, which were KMB property, served the same route - 3D - from Tsz Wan Shan to Kwun Tong.

The company said it had not received any threats prior to the incident. It was the first such arson attack in the terminus that served as a night parking lot for years.