Hong Kong Open

Tang tries to stay positive despite missed cut again

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 17 September, 2011, 12:00am
UPDATED : Saturday, 17 September, 2011, 12:00am

Share

Related topics

Aspiring Hong Kong professional Timothy Tang can be grateful for the financial support he gets from his family, after the Asian Tour rookie missed his seventh consecutive cut, failing to make it to the business end of the Macau Open this weekend.

American-born Tang, 24, had a horrific opening round, shooting 14-over par, and even though he followed with a more creditable two-over par yesterday, he finished a long way out of contention for the cut.

It has been the story of Tang's first year on the tour. 'It has been a struggle,' he said. 'I haven't earned a cent so far and it has been tough. Luckily my dad is funding me and my uncles are helping me out too. I'm very thankful that they are supportive and I'm trying my best to pay back the faith they have in me.'

Tang came to Asia for the first time last year and earned his Asian Tour card through qualifying school in Thailand this year.

It hasn't been smooth sailing for him as he has struggled to read the fairways and greens across Asia.

'I think I'm putting too much pressure on myself to perform,' Tang said. 'It seems that the harder I try, the worse it becomes. I need to stay positive, for I know I'm capable.'

His goal is to play at the UBS Hong Kong Open in December.

'But first I need to start making some cuts,' he said.