HK boy among injured in bus crash that killed 16
A Hong Kong resident was among the 19 people injured in a devastating bus crash that killed 16 others on Saturday in Xingshan county, Hubei province.
Local officials said all the injured passengers were sent to hospital and remained in stable condition yesterday. They included a Hong Kong boy identified as Zhang Mingya. His age is not known.
The crash occurred when the bus went off the road and rolled down a 60-metre valley and into the Xiangxi River, a tributary of the Yangtze River.
The dead included one Macau resident and a resident of Brunei.
Zhang Hong, deputy director of the county's propaganda department, said yesterday that all passengers had been accounted for, and divers had found no additional bodies in the river yesterday.
The injured were taken to Xingshan People's Hospital. Xingshan is one of the counties under the jurisdiction of Yichang city.
Zhang said the wreckage was still in the Xiangxi River.
'We're still making a plan to lift the wreckage onto land for a thorough investigation into the crash,' he said.
Local media reports indicated that most of the 35 passengers were members or friends of one family. Hong Kong Cable TV cited hospital staff as saying that the grandmother of the injured Hong Kong resident had arrived in Xingshan.
The passengers chartered the tour bus from Jingzhou to the Shennongjia Nature Reserve in western Hubei. The crash took place on Saturday afternoon after rain left the road very slick. Residents said many accidents had happened on that stretch of road.
After the bus crash, the tourism administration of Hubei issued an emergency circular across the province saying that rain would probably last through the National Day holiday week, and that all tourism agencies and services should take precautions.
Additional reporting by Danny Mok