• Sat
  • Dec 27, 2014
  • Updated: 3:17am

Briefs

PUBLISHED : Sunday, 09 October, 2011, 12:00am
UPDATED : Sunday, 09 October, 2011, 12:00am
 

Hospital chief to meet family of deceased boy

Hospital Authority chief executive Dr Leung Pak-yin said he would meet the family of 13-year-old Medwin Cheung Yui-ting tomorrow. Cheung died in Tuen Mun Hospital in August after an operation on his spine. The family accused the authority of not telling the full story. Leung said the case had been passed to the coroner's court, and a report by an overseas expert would discuss whether anyone was at fault.

HK survivors of Beijing bus crash return home

Eighteen Hong Thai tourists and their guide who escaped injury from a runaway tour bus near Beijing on Thursday returned to Hong Kong last night. Hong Thai said it had asked the Social Welfare Department to provide counselling to those who needed it. Family members of the three tourists killed by the bus carried out a religious rite at the scene yesterday. The dead tourists would be cremated in Beijing today.

Next 'Scheme $6000' round to open today

Application for the HK$6,000 handout scheme will open today for permanent residents born between 1967 and 1981. The government has received more than 2.1 million applications since August 28, when the first application window opened for other age groups.

Overheated electric meter suspected in hospital fire

An electric meter in Princess Margaret Hospital caught fire yesterday. No one was injured. Police believed the meter caught fire because of overheating.

Government to bolster internet copyright laws

The Copyright Ordinances would be amended to protect intellectual properties being infringed on the internet. However, Peter Cheung Kam-fai, director of intellectual property, said whether derivative work would be considered a copyright infringement would be dealt with on case by case basis. The authority would consider how widespread the derivative work was and how much damage it caused to the copyright holder.

'Golden week' visits rise 17pc, Tourism Board says

The Immigration Department said 2.57 million visitors came into Hong Kong and 2.55 left for holidays during the seven-day National Day 'golden week' holiday. The Tourism Board said there had been more than 770,000 mainland visitors to Hong Kong during the seven days, up 17.1 per cent year on year.

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or