Goals galore as Sun Hei thrill fans at new stadium

PUBLISHED : Monday, 17 October, 2011, 12:00am
UPDATED : Monday, 17 October, 2011, 12:00am


A crowd of 4,500 turned up at Mong Kok Stadium yesterday as Sunray Cave JC Sun Hei celebrated the reopening of the stadium with a sensational 5-0 victory over Sham Shui Po in the BMA First Division.

After 18 minutes of play, forward Cheng Siu-wai scored the first goal at the revamped venue, which has undergone a two-year, HK$275 million facelift, while striker Mamadou Barry added to the tally before the half-time whistle.

Fullback Pak Wing-chak powered home a 20-metre shot shortly after the break - his first goal in top-flight soccer - before Barry, member of the Guinea Under-23 team, netted two more times to score his first hat-trick of the season.

'It's great to return to Mong Kok and score a goal,' said Cheng. 'The atmosphere was great and a lot of people told me they would come to watch matches at the new venue. Many of them have fond memories of this place and they are happy to be back.'

Eager fans started queuing outside the venue two hours before the match and many of them agreed it was a better Mong Kok Stadium than before, but they also queried why all four sides were not covered.

Coach Ricardo Rambo agreed it was a great atmosphere playing in front of a big crowd at the ground, which can accommodate 6,600 spectators.

'It's very impressive and the facilities are great,' said the coach. 'Although some may say the bench is too close to the ground and the lighting is not even, people always find something to complain about. We are quite happy with the venue.'

With eight points from four matches, two points behind leaders Kitchee, Rambo was confident his club could challenge for the title this season.

'We need to maintain our form throughout the season and if we can do that, we always have a chance,' said the coach.

In Tai Po, TSW Pegasus' perfect winning record ended when they lost 3-1 to Wofoo Tai Po. The hosts, who won all four encounters with Pegasus last season, got off to a flying start with Carlos Gomes' header giving them the lead in the fifth minute. They scored two more through Christian Annan and Lui Chi-hing for a comfortable lead before the break.

Pegasus, who won all their previous three league matches, had Leandro Silva scoring a consolation in the 80th minute. 'We don't seem to do well whenever we play against Tai Po,' said Pegasus coach Chan Hiu-ming. 'We committed too many mistakes in the first half and it was very difficult for us.'