Lo blasts Caroliners for lax attitude despite cosy win

PUBLISHED : Sunday, 23 October, 2011, 12:00am
UPDATED : Sunday, 23 October, 2011, 12:00am


South China convenor Steven Lo Kit-sing was furious with his players' attitude despite a 5-0 victory over Hong Kong Sapling in the BMA First Division at Mong Kok Stadium yesterday.

Playing in front of a 4,000-strong crowd and against a side comprising mainly young players, the Caroliners took a comfortable 3-0 lead after the first period, and although they added two more in the second half, they hardly played like a team keen to regain their former glory when they were the dominant force in local soccer.

Sapling took the advantage of the lack of movement of their opponents in the second half, creating a number of chances through fast counter attacks, but their efforts were let down by poor finishing.

'The players did not really try in the second half, it was disappointing,' said Lo. 'The final score was fine but the performance was not up to the standard we expect of a team of this calibre. Once we had built up a comfortable lead in the first half, we should have continued to exert pressure and used the opportunity to improve our form, but unfortunately, it did not happen. The players just took it easy in the second half and were just waiting for the final whistle to blow.

'I have spoken to the coach and he also understands the problem. It has little to do with the players' ability, but their attitude is a serious problem which they need to sort out or we can never improve.'

However, centrehalf Ng Wai-chiu, who scored their second goal midway through the first half, said: 'We are getting better and better when compared to our performance at the beginning of the season. We are building up our confidence match by match.'

Giovane da Silva opened the scoring with a header as early as the fifth minute before Ng found the net, also from a header, following a corner-kick. Wellingsson de Souza made it 3-0 just before half-time and scored his second in the 58th minute after Kwok Kin-pong's goal six minutes into the second half.

In yesterday's other fixture at the same venue, 10-man Sunray Cave Sun Hei beat Biu Chun Rangers 1-0 to climb to the top of the standings. Jean-Jacques Kilama was given a straight red for elbowing Sandro in the 23rd minute, but striker Cheng Siu-wai struck a powerful, 25-metre half-volley with one minute left to lift Sun Hei to the top of the table with 11 points from five matches.

Meanwhile, striker Roberto Losada will be missing from Kitchee's line-up when the champions take on TSW Pegasus in a crucial league encounter at Tseung Kwan O Sports Ground today.

Kitchee, who are on 10 points, can regain pole position from Sun Hei if they beat Pegasus, whom they lost to in the opening round of the Canbo Senior Shield.