City Digest

PUBLISHED : Monday, 07 November, 2011, 12:00am
UPDATED : Monday, 07 November, 2011, 12:00am


Woman on bail after death of 2-month-old son

A 26-year-old woman arrested after the death of her two-month-old son on Saturday was released on bail yesterday. The woman called an ambulance when she found the boy unconscious in their subdivided flat in Cheung Sha Wan at 4pm on Saturday, but before the ambulance arrived she took the boy to Caritas Medical Centre in Sham Shui Po. Doctors found the boy, who had no visible wounds, had been dead for several hours.

Emily Lau calls for HKU probe over Tsui Lap-chee

Democratic Party vice-chairwoman Emily Lau Wai-hing urged the University of Hong Kong yesterday to set up an independent committee to investigate the reason behind vice chancellor Tsui Lap-chee's decision not to serve a third term. Lau said it was obvious Tsui's departure was related to the controversy over security during Vice-Premier Li Keqiang's visit to the campus in August. She hoped university staff, students and alumni would help press for an inquiry.

Tanker supplies residents after water main bursts

The Water Supplies Department sent a tanker to supply residents of Man Lok Street, Hung Hom, after a water main burst. Traffic was diverted while repairs were carried out. Normal supply was expected to be resumed by midnight.

Two remain in critical condition after fire

Two women aged 18 and 58 remained in critical condition last night after being burned in a fire that broke out in a hair salon in a Yau Ma Tei tenement building on Friday. The husband of the 58-year-old woman was killed in the blaze. The women were caught by flames while fleeing the Parkes Street building.

Injured python rescued from Pok Fu Lam roadside

A python more than two metres long was found injured on Victoria Road outside Villa Cecil, Pok Fu Lam. The snake, thought to have been hit by a vehicle, was captured and put in the care of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.