US tourist held over vehicle damage in rush-hour chase | South China Morning Post
  • Sat
  • Jan 31, 2015
  • Updated: 5:14pm

US tourist held over vehicle damage in rush-hour chase

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 08 November, 2011, 12:00am
UPDATED : Tuesday, 08 November, 2011, 12:00am
 

An American tourist was arrested on suspicion of damaging four vehicles and breaking an intercom at the US consulate after being chased by police through the busy streets of Central during the morning rush hour yesterday.

The drama began at about 8.30am when the 47-year-old man - police identified him only as David - was seen walking in the eastbound lane of Queensway.

He is accused of striking four vehicles - a Kowloon Motor Bus double-decker, a taxi and two cars - with his hand in Queensway. The traffic was stopped for a red light at the time, police said.

A KMB spokeswoman said the firm's bus was stopped when 'a man was in front of our bus, punched the right side of the windscreen and left.'

The windscreen was cracked and the driver called the police, she said.

A senior police officer said that as officers tried to stop the man at the scene, he managed to escape and ran uphill along Garden Road. The American, who suffered injuries to his right hand, outran the police.

He ran to the US consulate in Garden Road, where he allegedly damaged an intercom on the wall and a window next to the door of the guard room. Pursuing police officers arrived and arrested him on suspicion of criminal damage.

The man was treated for hand injuries at Queen Mary Hospital.

He was being held for questioning last night and no charges had been laid.

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or