Bomber injures six at Shanxi primary school | South China Morning Post
  • Mon
  • Mar 2, 2015
  • Updated: 9:16am

Bomber injures six at Shanxi primary school

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 26 November, 2011, 12:00am
UPDATED : Saturday, 26 November, 2011, 12:00am

In another disturbing breach of school safety on the mainland, a man set off explosives at a primary school in Shanxi on Thursday, killing himself and injuring a teacher and five children.

Feng Aihong took dynamite to Jishi Primary School in Jishi township in Anze county in the afternoon. A male physical education teacher and five pupils were injured, the Shanxi Evening News reported, citing a briefing by Anze police. They are investigating his motives.

Anze police chief Li Sheng said Feng took a taxi from Qin county to Anze county and then rented a car to go to the school.

Feng lost his daughter and father to gas poisoning three years ago and later divorced his wife. His mother died many years ago. He had not been living at home for a long time, working instead in other places. It was not immediately known whether the school was linked to his daughter.

The injured teacher was instructing children when Feng showed up. Pupils who were near Feng sustained burns to their faces. They were treated in Linfen People's Hospital for non-critical wounds.

Classes at the school had resumed, except for the first grade and kindergarten, the report said.

In recent years, mainland schoolchildren had been the target of attackers who were mentally ill or had grievances. A migrant worker injured eight children aged four or five at a Shanghai day care centre in August; a year ago, a man in Zibo, Shandong, killed a teacher and three children at a kindergarten. From March to May last year, at least five copycat assaults on kindergartens left at least 15 children dead and led to more security around schools.

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or