A fung shui wall built illegally on private land in a Sai Kung village has been torn down after a landowner for months defied an order to remove it.
But a spokeswoman for the Buildings Department said it would continue to take prosecution action against the landowner because its officers had yet to be told about the removal or asked to inspect the site.
The department issued the order to Chu Kwok-kuen, who owns the land in Sha Kok Mei village on which the three-storey wall was built, on May 31. He was told to demolish the illegal structure by June 30.
Chu, who also lives in the village, could not be reached for comment.
The Friends of Sai Kung alerted authorities to the wall in February. The structure was never approved by the department and no one has admitted to building it.
The department spokeswoman said it had not been officially notified by the landowner - whom she did not name - that the illegal structure had been removed.
But she rejected any suggestion that the department had hired a contractor to demolish the wall.