• Fri
  • Aug 29, 2014
  • Updated: 2:03pm

What is the most embarrassing thing that happened to you?

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 21 December, 2011, 12:00am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 21 December, 2011, 12:00am

Nanor Wong Si-yee, 17, St Margaret's Co-educational English Secondary School

There was this guy I really liked. He was a tall Eurasian lad who looked like a movie star. One day, as I was passing the football field where he usually practised, I saw him across the street. He waved at me. My heart twittering, I happily waved back at him. He signalled me to come over. I began dashing towards him. I did not look and was nearly run over by a car. As the vehicle came to a screeching halt, the driver shouted at me angrily: 'Hey, watch out!'

I felt humiliated in front of my crush. I looked at him embarrassed and apologised: 'Sorry, I wasn't watching the road.'

He was smiling. His charming white-toothed smile, chestnut eyes, and old-fashioned English gentleman's hairstyle almost made me faint.

He just looked past me. To my horror, I realised he had been smiling and waving at his best pal the whole time!

Jayson Paolo Albano, 16, La Salle College

I was seven years old when I found out where all the candles in my house were kept. Back then I had a liking for fire and I decided to light a few candles and place them around our storage room. I thought the candles would add a 'mystical' touch to the room, making it look like a secret den in the movies. After lighting a few candles, I smiled, happy with my work. Then I closed the door and went outside to watch some television.

When I returned after a while, I found smoke coming from the storage room. I panicked and rushed to tell my parents. They told me to alert neighbours and the security guard. By the time we had put out the fire, everyone was crowding around outside our door. Luckily, no one was hurt but most of the stuff in the storage room had been destroyed. I was crying and telling my parents I'd clean up the place myself. They were relieved the fire had not turned into a blaze.

I definitely learned one thing: Don't play with fire!

Catherine Wang, 12, Chinese International School

During a Year Six camp, dormitory showers were usually crowded. So while I was waiting for my turn one day, I decided to undress outside the cramped bathroom. As I was halfway through my undergarments, I realised too late that I had left the door unlocked.

One of my friends flung it open, as she was chatting casually with a couple of other students. She shrieked at the sight of me standing there naked.

Shocked, I tried to cover myself with what little clothes were in my hands. I yelled at my friend to shut the door. Unfortunately, the uproar attracted a larger mob. People began crowding around and staring at me.

I became a laughing stock and spent the next few weeks in a humiliated silence, waiting for the joke to wear out. I've since made sure to lock bathroom doors.

Eugene Wong Jun-yen, 18, PAOC Ka Chi Secondary School

It was the day of a big school event where I was to play the drums for the school band. Not only were all the students and school staff there but also a lot of parents.

The weather that day was terrible so the truck carrying our musical instruments arrived very late. To make matters worse, the drum set had been dismantled to make it easier to carry. So while everyone else was getting ready on stage, I was busy setting up the drums.

I felt all eyes were on me, which made me nervous. I figured I'd manage to set up the drums just in time, but I was wrong. Halfway through the second song, the drums just didn't feel right. Then I realised the side drum's stand was on the verge of collapsing. And collapse it did. I had to hold the side drum on my lap, which left me with just one hand and my legs for a whole drum set. I hoped nobody had noticed, but the MC just couldn't resist poking fun at me.

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or