City Digest

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 03 January, 2012, 12:00am
UPDATED : Tuesday, 03 January, 2012, 12:00am


Thieves escape with loot worth HK$2.8m from villa

Burglars broke into a luxury villa in Clear Water Bay and escaped with cash, jewellery and other valuables worth HK$2.8 million. The owner, Wendy Lam Wing-chuen, 47, called police after returning home from an overseas holiday at about 7.30am yesterday to find her home had been ransacked. Lam is a director of Arrow Capital.

Japanese tourist enters no plea on assault count

Japanese doctor Naoyuki Shizu appeared in Kowloon City Court charged with indecently assaulting a woman on Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, during the New Year countdown. The 45-year-old tourist did not enter a plea. He was released on HK$100,000 bail and given permission to return to Japan. The case was adjourned to February 16.

Cathay passenger charged with disorderly behaviour

Japanese tourist Kumagai Shinobu, 40, appeared in Kowloon City Court charged with disorderly behaviour on a Cathay Pacific flight from Japan to Hong Kong. The court heard he had been drinking. The case was adjourned to today and Shinobu, who indicated he would plead guilty, was remanded in custody.

Bank staff unhappy with overtime compensation

Some 85 per cent of bank employees work overtime, an average of 21/2 hours a day, according to a survey of 300 staff by the Banking Employees Association. It said staff consistently complained that banks required them to work overtime but did not provide adequate compensation.

Police find suicidal man asleep inside flat

Police arriving at a Tseung Kwan O flat after receiving a call about a suicidal man found the 25-year-old man asleep inside. A relative said the man had picked up a knife and threatened to commit suicide before forcing the family out of the flat and locking himself inside. The man was taken to Tseung Kwan O Hospital.

Pedestrian assaulted and robbed of mobile phone

A thief struck a man on the head with a hard object in Waterloo Road, Kowloon City, at about 2am and stole his HK$5,000 mobile phone, police said. The man was treated at Kwong Wah Hospital.

Man survives jump from Mong Kok building

A man, 22, survived a suicide jump from a Mong Kok building after a quarrel with his girlfriend.