High-flying Pegasus maintain top spot in table

PUBLISHED : Sunday, 08 January, 2012, 12:00am
UPDATED : Sunday, 08 January, 2012, 12:00am


TSW Pegasus kept their position at the top of the BMA First Division at the midpoint of the season as they defeated Sunray Cave Sun Hei 3-1 at Mong Kok Stadium yesterday.

Even if Kitchee beat Biu Chun Rangers today, Pegasus will still lead the table with 21 points from nine matches as the best Kitchee can hope for is 20 points the maximum tally a victory would bring.

'This is a big advantage for us as we push on with the challenge for our first league championship,' said Pegasus coach Chan Hiu-ming. 'We are now in the driver's seat and if we can avoid making silly mistakes in the second half of the season, we stand a very good chance. It's just like being the lead car in a motor race.'

Chan was pleased to see his charges recover after a slow start to the season which at one point saw them languishing in sixth place following two consecutive losses.

'We lost 3-2 to Kitchee and that was hard to swallow as that was our best performance so far this season,' said the coach. 'But we were lucky to have a couple of weeks for recovery before we came back strongly and defeated South China 2-1 in the following match. That was crucial.'

Despite conceding an early goal to Sun Hei when Gerard Ambassa Guy headed home a corner kick in the second minute, Pegasus bounced back after the break, hitting the net three times, including a penalty kick which put them 2-1 ahead midway through the second half.

Godfred Karikari levelled the score just two minutes into the second half when he scored from close range after Sun Hei goalkeeper Ho Kwok-chuen failed to hold on to a Lee Hong-lim free kick from 20 metres out.

Sun Hei centre-half Jean Kilama was then judged to have elbowed Lucas de Lima inside the box, which saw Pegasus handed a one-man advantage as Kilama was sent off; Cheung Kin-fung stepped up to convert the penalty kick.

Second-half substitute Leandro Silva put the result beyond doubt with his fourth goal of the season eight minutes from time.

Sun Hei forward Cheng Siu-wai said the referee's decisions were key to the outcome, saying it had ruined all their efforts.

'The free kick that gave them the equaliser was unnecessary while Kilama's red card was too harsh,' said the Hong Kong international. 'There were a lot of decisions that went against us throughout the match but there's nothing we can do about it. But we won't be discouraged as there is a long way to go in the season. We will keep trying till the end.'

In the earlier match at Tang Shing Kin Sports ground, Wofoo Tai Po held visitors Tuen Mun to a 1-1 draw.