Founder of wakeboard school killed in car crash

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 19 January, 2012, 12:00am
UPDATED : Thursday, 19 January, 2012, 12:00am


One of the founders of a prominent watersports training school died yesterday after crashing his BMW into a road divider in Tai Po.

Wakeboard School founder Johnson Hui Chung-shun, 37, was driving towards Tai Mei Tuk when he lost control of his car on Ting Kok Road near Fortune Garden at 3.30am.

The car mounted the divider, crashed into railings and knocked down a traffic sign and lights, police said.

Hui was unconscious when he was freed from the wreckage by firefighters. He was declared dead in Alice Ho Miu Ling Nethersole Hospital at 4.16am.

Hui set up the Wakeboard School in Tai Po three years ago along with Andrew Cheung and Ronnie Cheung. He was a wakeboarding coach and a member of the Hong Kong Water Ski Association's wakeboard team.

Andrew Cheung paid tribute to Hui, saying he was a well respected, experienced and responsible coach.

'His death is a great loss,' Cheung said, adding that Hui had made a huge contribution to the sport in the past decade.

Police believe Hui, who lived alone, was returning to his home in Wong Yue Tan, about 900 metres from the crash site. A police investigator said it was not a traffic black spot.

'We're looking into it - it's possible he was exceeding the speed limit of 70 kilometres an hour,' the investigator said, adding that an autopsy would be carried out to determine whether Hui had been drinking.

The wreck of the black BMW 118i was taken to a government yard for examination.

Hui was a scuba-diving instructor for 10 years in Thailand before he went to Japan, where he spent two years training as a wakeboarding coach, Cheung said. He returned to Hong Kong 10 years ago.

Police appealed to any witnesses to the accident to contact them on 3661 3800.


The number of people killed in road accidents in Hong Kong in the first 11 months of last year. The toll was 117 for the whole of 2010