Mediation urged for rape victim

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 02 February, 2012, 12:00am
UPDATED : Thursday, 02 February, 2012, 12:00am


A High Court deputy registrar yesterday urged a woman who was seeking compensation after she was raped four years ago by a former constable in a police station to try to settle the matter through mediation.

Master Katherine Lo Kit-yee's recommendation came as lawyers for the woman appeared in the High Court over her compensation claim. She was among four victims sexually attacked by former detective constable Leung Lai-chung in 2008 in the Mong Kok police station.

Leung was jailed by the Court of First Instance for 12 years in September 2009 for raping a teenager, and molesting two other teens and a 21-year-old woman.

The court heard that the attack dealt a great blow to the victim, who was suffering from anxiety and depression. A psychologist and a psychiatrist are handling her case.

As she was emotionally unstable, her legal team was still unable to take a witness statement from her, the court was told.

She was absent from the last mediation meeting. Her lawyers said it was their understanding that their client did not want to settle the matter outside court.

Lo appealed to the victim to try to resolve the matter through mediation, noting that most of the facts of the case had been agreed between the victim and police.

She ordered the parties to file a report on the progress of mediation by June 6. The case was adjourned to July 23.

The Court of First Instance heard earlier that Leung, then 30, had called the victims, aged 16 to 21, to Mong Kok police station on the pretext of discussing cases they were involved in, then took them to the room used for identification parades and sexually attacked them - in one case, as the victim's mother waited outside.

Leung pleaded guilty to four charges of indecent assault, one of rape and one of perverting the course of justice. The police chief at the time, Tang King-shing, apologised to the victims.

Leung, whom Mr Justice Darryl Saw described as a sexual predator, was not involved in any of the investigations and had obtained his victims' contact information from police computers by using other officers' passwords.

In 2010, he was jailed for an additional year for unlawfully accessing police computers for information on potential victims.

During the meetings, instead of talking about matters related to investigations, Leung told dirty jokes and talked about the women's appearance and stature. He told one of the victims that he could read fortunes on faces and that her lips showed she was fond of making love with her boyfriends.

He sent text messages to the victims after sexually abusing them. In one case, he asked a 16-year-old victim to go out with him.

Leung offered HK$100,000 to another victim, 19, to withdraw her complaint after he learned that she and her boyfriend reported the incident to officers at Tin Shui Wai police station. Leung told her he could not lose his job or go to prison.


The amount in Hong Kong dollars ex-policeman Leung Lai-chung offered a woman he had sexually assaulted, in an attempt to buy her silence