-
Advertisement
Bo Xilai

Consulate incident 'skirted disaster'

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP

Chongqing Mayor Huang Qifan confirmed yesterday that his deputy, Wang Lijun, was being probed by the Ministry of State Security and said that an incident last month could have developed into a diplomatic crisis if Wang had stayed in the US consulate for too long.

Huang's comments about Wang were the first by a senior Chongqing official since Wang - former municipality police chief and right-hand man of Chongqing party boss Bo Xilai - spent a night at the US consulate in Chengdu, Sichuan, on February 6.

Huang also confirmed that he went inside the consulate to talk to Wang, describing the entire process as 'peaceful and calm'.

Advertisement

Huang was asked to comment on Wang during an interview with Hong Kong-based Phoenix Television.

'As mayor, when I discovered my deputy went to a consulate, I had the right to contact Wang Lijun through the consulate,' Huang said, adding that he was received by the US consulate in person at the entrance before going inside to have a 'detailed discussion' with Wang.

Advertisement

'This is a matter concerning state security, and it is natural for the Ministry of State Security to conduct an investigation after Wang left [the consulate],' he said.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x