-
Advertisement
Bo Xilai

Premier Wen chides Chongqing

Reading Time:3 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
Shi Jiangtao

Premier Wen Jiabao rebuked Chongqing's municipal leadership yesterday over an incident last month in which its deputy mayor sought refuge in a US consulate.

It was the first public comment by a top Communist Party leader on a scandal that sparked international headlines.

Wen's remarks at his annual press conference added further uncertainty to the future of Chongqing party boss Bo Xilai, whose chances of being promoted to the party's top echelon during a leadership shake-up this autumn have been seen as waning since early February.

Advertisement

'The current party committee and government of Chongqing must seriously reflect upon and learn lessons from the Wang Lijun incident,' Wen said in a raised tone while waving a pen in his hand.

His comments marked a rare departure from past practice in mainland politics. He is the only member of the highest-level Politburo Standing Committee to speak out about the scandal involving Wang, Bo's former right-hand man, who took refuge in the US consulate in Chengdu, Sichuan, on February 6.

Advertisement

Speaking at his last annual press conference as premier, Wen said that an investigation into Wang's case ordered by the central government had made progress, and that the case would be handled strictly in accordance with the law.

'We will give the people the results of the investigation and the handling [of the case], so that it can withstand the test of law and history,' he said. The question to Wen about the scandal was raised at the end of the three-hour press event, broadcast live on television, radio and the internet. Although he appeared prepared for the sensitive nature of the issue, he presented a stern look and covered his mouth with his hand when the question was raised.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x